Menu

John Plankinton (1820 to 1891)

John Plankinton

Section 27, Block 3, Lots 1 and 2
Upon arriving in Milwaukee, Plankinton opened a meat market which was immediately successful. He progressed to a meat packing operation, handling both beef and pork. In a succession of partnerships with Frederick Layton, Philip Armour and Patrick Cudahy, Plankinton became one of the country’s largest meat packers. He was a director of several local businesses and built many buildings including the Plankinton House Hotel.