Most would call the 1840’s simpler times. But for Milwaukee’s early settlers, the times called for vitally important and lasting decisions.
Soon after the city was founded in 1846, civic leaders began searching for a place where area residents could count on eternal peace. They found 72 gently rolling and forested acres that, although “far” from town, were accessible by the new “Janesville Plank Road”. The land was acquired, and the cemetery was named Forest Home. In 1850, the first burial took place. A few years later, as more cherished memories were entrusted to this special place, the road that led from the growing city was renamed “Forest Home Avenue”.
Today, Forest Home embraces 200 acres of dignified beauty. It contains more undeveloped land than the total area of most cemeteries in the United States. Its historical significance has earned Forest Home the designation as an official Milwaukee Landmark and a listing in the National Registry of Historic Places.